Bopis is best described as a spicy and appetizing Filipino dish made out of pork lungs and heart sauteed in tomatoes, chilies and onions. The name bopis is derived from the Spanish word bopiz. This is usually served as pulutan or an appetizer that is best to serve with alcoholic drinks. Also, bopis is served as a main or side dish, and is best eaten with steamed rice. Like the most traditional dishes, bopis has evolved in many version. However, the recipe we had here uses ingredients like pork heart, pork lungs, pork fat, garlic, red onion, bay leaves, red bell pepper, siling labuyo, annatto powder, lemon grass, pandan leaves, vinegar, pork stock, fish sauce, salt, ground black pepper, canola oil, green chili pepper, and bell peppers. Have this recipe pined on your list of menus, enjoy!
- 1/2 kg pork heart
- 1/2 kg pork lungs
- 300g pork fat, skin on
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp siling labuyo or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp annatto powder, dissolved in 3 tbsp stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 knot pandan leaves
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup pork stock
- fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil
- green chili pepper for garnish
- 4-5 big bell peppers
How To Cook Bopis:
- In large frying pan, add pork fat, heart and lungs, lemongrass, pandan leaves, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove meat, let it cool then dice the meat finely. Set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onions. Add the chopped meat, cayenne pepper and bay leaves, stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, 1 cup of vinegar and stock, bring to a boil and simmer in high heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more vinegar if you want it more sour.
- Add annatto powder mixture then season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then place in big bell peppers and garnish with green chili pepper. Serve with hot rice.
Image Credit: stalkerville.net
Your Friends & Family Could Use This Recipe! Share it: