Pork Afritada Recipe
One of the staple dish on Filipino celebrations is this afritada recipe. Perhaps, if you are fun of attending occasions such as Fiesta, then you should not miss this dish. There are many versions of afritada that uses different types of meat, what we have here is the pork afritada version. It is proven that pork afritada is a another product of the colonization, the recipe is similar to many others such as Menudo in that aside from the same basic ingredient which is Tomato Sauce. Another ingredients includes carrot, potato, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, garlic, onion, bay leaves, pork broth, salt and pepper. One great tip is to put the vegetables last as it has the tendency to be very soft if put into the mix too soon. Pair it with rice, and you’ll end up having a great meal!
- 1 1/2 lbs. pork, chopped
- 1 big carrot, cut into wedges
- 1 big potato, cut into wedges
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves (laurel)
- 1 cup beef or pork broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
How to cook Pork Afritada Recipe:
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan and sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the pork and sauté until the outer parts are cooked. (Approximately 5 minutes)
- Add the water, tomato sauce, beef broth & bay leaves. Stir and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pork is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Add the carrots and potatoes. Stir and simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy your Pork Afritada!