Puto Flan / Leche Puto Recipe
If you think you can’t get two good thing at once, then you are wrong as here comes puto flan. This dish is also known as puto leche that was a two-in-one treat. Its idea is said to came from making solution to a puto-maker’s problem: too much egg yolks were wasted in making puto. A booming business that originally from a problem solved. This uses egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, calamansi juice or lemon, all-ppurpose flour, baking powder, white sugar, salt, egg whites, water, and a few drops of yellow coloring. This puto flan is perfect for snack or dessert that your family will surely love. keep this recipe and serve it in parties, fiestas and even at home for a merienda with the family.
For the Flan:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (370g)
- 2 tsps. of lemon or calamansi juice
For the Puto:
- 2 cups of All-purpose flour
- 4 tsps. Baking powder
- 2/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 eggwhites
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- a few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)
How To Cook Puto Flan / Leche Puto Recipe:
- Create your flan first by mixing the egg yolks and condensed milk, then add the lemon/calamansi juice (if you are using an extract, reduce the measurement to 1 tsp)
- Heat water in you steamer, and then bring to a boil. Grease your puto moulds lightly, and fill them with your flan mixture about 1/3 full. You can use sauce dispensers made of plastic to make it easier to distribute your mixture.
- Steam your flan make sure to wrap your steamer cover with a towel, I kept mine on medium heat and steamed the flan for a good 20 minutes, make sure to check your flan once in a while and see if the flan is almost cooked and no longer in its liquid form, that means it’s ready. Set aside.
- Create your puto mixture. Sift your dry ingredients together. add your wet ingredients and mix, but do not OVERMIX. If you have another plastic dispenser, transfer your mixture.
- Add your puto mixture over your flan mixture and steam again for around 15 minutes. Or until it has risen and shows a shiny dome.
- Allow them to cool down before your remove them from the moulds to make sure that the flan and the puto stick together. Use a knife to loosen the puto from the mould and tap slightly to release.