Siopao (Asado) Recipe
For the Dough:
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar (added to yeast mixture)
- ½ cup sugar (added to the flour mixture)
- 1 pouch dry yeast
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tbsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp shortening
For the Filling:
- 2 lbs pork, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp lard or shortening
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, diluted in ¼ cup water
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
How to make Siopao (Asado):
- Cook the Asado filling by heating the shortening in a pan.
- Saute the garlic and onions.
- Put-in the pork and cook until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sugar then mix well. Simmer for minutes.
- Put in the corn starch (diluted in water) and mix until the texture of the sauce becomes thick then set aside.
- Make the dough by placing warm water in a bowl then add the yeast and sugar and mix well.
- Leave the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, put-in the flour, baking powder, shortening (or lard), and the yeast-sugar-water mixture then mix well (bubbles should have formed on top by then).
- Knead the combined mixture until the texture of the dough becomes fine. Let the dough rise by setting it aside for at least an hour (place in the mixing bowl and cover the top).
- Knead the dough again then cut into individual slices (this will be the dough per individual siopao).
- Flatten the dough until a round shape is formed using a rolling pin.
- Put the asado filling on the middle of the flattened dough and wrap.
- Place the siopao in a steamer and steam for 15 minutes.