Yummy Fruitcake Recipe
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped dried mango
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped candied citron
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups light rum
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3 egg
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 cups butter
How To Cook Fruitcake:
- Soak dried fruit in 1/4 cup rum for at least 24 hours. Cover tightly, and store at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter and line with parchment paper a 6 inch round pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the flour in three batches, alternating with the milk and molasses. Stir in the fruit/ rum mixture and nuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons rum.
- Place a piece of parchment paper, large enough to wrap entire cake, on a flat surface.
- Moisten a piece of cheesecloth, large enough to wrap the cake, with 1 tablespoon rum. Place the cheesecloth on top of the parchment paper, and unmold the cake on top of it.
- Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with the remaining rum.
- Wrap the cake, pressing the cheesecloth closely to the surface of the cake. Place the cake in an airtight tin, and let age for at least 10 weeks.
- If storing longer, douse with additional rum for every 10 weeks of storage.
Image Credit: simplyrecipes.com
Your Friends & Family Could Use This Recipe! Share it: