This dish is a typical Latin American dish their version is called Arroz a la Valenciana for Spain and Arroz Valenciana in Portugal the Pinoy version is called Arroz Valenciana. It is also fondly dubbed as Poor Man’s PAELLA, since arroz a la paella has more lavish ingredients compared with Valenciana. The difference between the two is the manner of preparation and special ingredients. Valenciana is basically stove-top cooking whereas, paella is more of baking. The latter uses wine for a flavorful Spanish rice dish and a lot of seafood ingredients. This dish is great for Christmas, Fiestas, weddings, birthdays, and family get-together, you can also find this dish in many karinderia or turo-turo stores in the Philippines. Try cooking it now with this recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cup glutinous rice (malagkit)
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/4 kilo medium sized shrimp
- 1/4 kilo pork liver
- 3 pcs chorizo bilbao, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 kilo chicken fillet
- 1/2 kg pork loin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 small can green peas
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 3 pcs dried bayleaf
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- salt to taste
- parsley or onion leaves
How To Cook Arroz Valenciana Recipe:
- Boil the pork, chicken and shrimp to 6 cups of water together with onions, bayleaf and peppercorns, add a teaspoon of salt.
- Once the pork, chicken and shrimp are cook, separate the stock and set aside.
- Slice pork and chicken to bite sizes, remove the shell of the shrimp, set aside.
- Mix glutinous rice with white rice then boil the rice mixture with 3 1/2 cups of pork, chicken and shrimp stock, add the saffron. Stir once in a while to prevent burning.
- Fry the chorizo Bilbao, separate then on the same oil fry Pork liver, set aside.
- In a hot oil, Saute garlic, and the remaining onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked pork meat, chicken, shrimp, bell pepper, green peas and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked rice mixture; blend well, then add the rest of the ingredients and combine lightly.
- Arrange on a platter and garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs, strips of parsley or onion leaves.
- Good for 10 persons.