Cantonese Sweet & Sour Pork Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 oz. pork fillet, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded, cored and sliced
- 1 small can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- Oil for frying
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 6 tbsp. tomato catsup
- 6 tbsp. reserved pineapple juice
How to cook Cantonese Sweet & Sour Pork:
- To prepare the batter, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil and enough water to make a thick, smooth batter.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the ingredients in the well, gradually incorporating flour from the outside, and beat until smooth.
- Heat enough oil in a wok to deep-fry the pork. Dip the pork cubes one at a time into the batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry 4-5 pieces of pork at a time and remove them with a draining spoon to paper towels.
- Continue until all the pork is fried.
- Pour off most of the oil from the wok and add the sliced onion, pepper and pineapple. Cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour into the wok. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring continuously until thickened. Allow to simmer for about 1-2 minutes or until completely clear.
- Add the vegetables, pineapple and pork cubes to the sauce and stir to coat completely. Reheat for 1-2 minutes and serve immediately.