This chicken pastel recipe is highly influenced by the Spanish colonizers in the Philippines. May seem similar to the American’s chicken pot pie. The chicken pastel make use of the chicken breast thus making this recipe very easy to make since it only needs a little time to make the chicken tender, unlike if you are using other parts of the chicken. Basically, this recipe is a cream-based dish that uses evaporated milk. Also, it has sausages and an assortment of vegetables and some pastel chicken recipe requires the chicken to be marinated for at least an hour with soy sauce and calamansi or lemon juice. Keep this recipe now, and have it pined on your list of next to try recipes. Happy cooking!
- 1 chicken (1 kilo)
- 1 pc. chorizo de bilbao, chopped
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 carrot small cubes
- 2 potatoes, medium size cubes
- 1 small can sausage, cubes
- 8-10 pcs. olives (optional)
- 1/2 kilo chicken giblets & liver
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vetsin
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
How to cook Chicken Pastel Recipe :
- Brown garlic in butter. Add onion, chicken (cut into small serving pieces), giblets, liver, and chorizo. Stir for 2 minutes, add 1/2 of broth. Cover; simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Stir in remaining chickne broth. Lastly, add milk and thicken sauce with dissolved flour.
- When chicken is almost done, transfer to baking dish. garnish top with hard-boiled egg (cut into half). Cover with pie crust. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until crust turns golden brown.
- Pastel Crust:
- 4 cups all-purpose-flour (sift 3 times)
- 1 cup shortening or margarine
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
- Add salt and sugar to flour. Cut in shortening using two knives. Gradually add water. Mix with hand but do not knead. When well blended, roll out on floured board. Fit on top of prepared ‘pastel’. brush with beaten egg yolk or milk.
Photo Credit here
Photo Credit : http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/basic-chicken-pastel-729154