With the summer nearly approaching we have to put colors to satisfying foods to go along with the hot weather. One of the right and perfect dish to enjoy is this fresh lumpia recipe that is obviously the fresh version of the popular fried lumpia. Though, don’t be mistaken that no because Fresh Lumpia is traditionally called “fresh” doesn’t mean it’s a raw dish but because it’s not fried like its counterpart. The traditional Lumpiang Sariwa has three parts – filling, wrapper, and sauce. Its filling is consisting of all kinds of colorful vegetables cut into small pieces. Others includes pieces of fried pork or shrimp but you could easily replace them with fried tofu or tempeh. Its wrapper is a simple thin crepe. Made more delectable using a thick sweet-savory cream sauce. Assembling this together, results to a delicious Fresh Lumpia that is a party in your mouth. Try this recipe now!
- 12 pcs medium – large size lumpia wrapper
- 12 pcs lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 100 g prawns, peeled and chopped
- 500 g ubod, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 100 g Baguio beans, julienned
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1-2 cups peanuts, toasted and ground
- 4 cloves garlic, minced finely
How To Cook Fresh Lumpia:
For the Lumpia:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté onions and garlic.
- Add chopped prawns and stir until it changes color.
- Add chicken and sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in the ubod and carrots.
- Add shredded cabbage.
- Add enough chicken broth for the vegetables to become tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are just tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Wrap a portion of the filling and a lettuce leaf on a wrapper.
For the Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together, excluding the peanuts and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat, then add the minced garlic.
- Serve with sprinkled ground peanuts.
Image Credit: fairfaxinnrestaurant.com